Friday, October 03, 2008

Sarah, Sarah...

OK, so I know it's supposed to be a blog about quilting...but, gosh darn it, I'm just going to bust if I don't say something about that doggone "debate" last night. I'm just going to talk straight to the American people. Did you watch last night? Let me give a "shout-out" to Palin - she wasn't terrible...she was able to put together a noun, a verb, and "maverick." After those Katy Couric interviews, I half expected her to not even be able to do that! But I betcha you are just as disappointed as I am that there wasn't a complete meltdown, darn it. On several occasions, she looked liked she was reciting from a cue card...but Oh! props to her for being able to say Ahmadinejad three times fast! Can't you just see the practice sessions for that? But, c'mon - is that the bar for VP of the United States? She didn't suck??? She managed to survive for 90 minutes by sticking to her cue cards? She "held her own" by mugging, winking, not answering the questions? Don't we already have one of those in office? This isn't "Dancing with the Stars." I was so happy to see Gwen Ifill as the moderator, but I wish Gwen had put her hand on her hip and said, "Girlfriend, will you please just answer the question? Don't make me come up there!" We all know that politicians have their spin, but I've never heard one flat out say in a debate, "I'm not going to answer the question." Isn't that what a debate is?

I can already see the Saturday Night Live skit! To be particularly effective, show it split screen with Tina Fey saying Palin's exact words, God bless 'er.

"Nuclear (Nuk-lar) weaponry, of course, would be the be-all, end-all of just too many people in too many parts of our planet, so those dangerous regimes, again, cannot be allowed to acquire nuclear (nuk-lar) weapons, period."

When Gwen asked about the role of the Vice President, Biden was comfortable to say: "I would be the point person for the legislative initiatives in the United States Congress for our administration." Palin's answer was more abstract and obscure: "We have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation." What? Really?

And one of her caribou in the headlights moments: “That is not so, but because that's just a quick answer, I want to talk about, again, my record on energy — your ticket's energy ticket also. I think that this is important to come back to, with that energy policy plan, again, that was voted for in '05.”

Am I the only one who can't understand a word this woman is saying?

Please. Steve Harvey made a funny comment..."Your entire foreign policy experience can not be 'cause you can see Russia from your backyard. Hell, I can see the moon from my backyard, and that don't make me an astronaut!"

And how telling is it that she read in the paper (the good news is that apparently she does read them!) this morning that McCain is pulling out of Michigan? As Rachel Maddow says, "Somebody talk me down."

1 comment:

Sandra Hankins said...

My sentiments exactly! Jeanette you're so funny and so right on! Good for you. Looking forward to seeing you in the next couple weeks at the "O You" conference in San Francisco. Until then,happy quilting and debate reviewing! Your west coast buddy, Sandi